Being 20 can be awesome! You’re out of high school, possibly enjoying independence from your parents while in college, and making exciting choices for a bright future. But 20 can also be stressful. You’re not exactly sure what you want to do for the rest of your life, you’re racking up loans, and you’re confused about what kind of relationship you’re ready for.
Whatever issues you’re dealing with, the most important advice for a young adult like you is to treat yourself well. For so long as a child, you relied on mom and dad to feed you and keep you healthy. As a teenager, you made a lot of the same choices your friends did, whether they were good or bad. Now, it’s time for you to make smart decisions for yourself. Here is some advice for 20 year old’s to help you realize what’s best for your future.
Our Advice for 20 Year Olds
- Focus on your happiness. The best advice for a 20-year-old is to realize that you don’t always need what other people have. Maybe your friend bought a cool car that you can’t afford, but you don’t know how hard that friend works to make payments. If your friend just got a new job, could it be better or pay more than yours? Maybe not. Never obsess about wanting what others have. Instead, find joy in the things you’ve achieved and focus on what will bring you personal satisfaction.
- Be good to your body. It’s the only one you’ll have for the rest of your life! If you love to work out, don’t just focus on burning the most calories. Make sure to balance cardio and strength training with flexibility. You could try out a new class, like yoga; not only will it keep you limber as you get older, but it also has an amazing effect on your mental well-being. If you haven’t found a love for exercise, it’s never too late. Aim to get up and move for thirty minutes a day. This will help you to relieve stress, lose weight and sleep better at night.
- Take care of your skin. Even if you spent hours in the tanning bed or around the pool in your teenage years, it’s imperative to start taking care of your skin in your early 20’s. Some damage may already be done, but start wearing sunscreen now on any parts of your skin that are exposed to the sun. If you don’t, you’re more likely to develop wrinkles and skin cancers in years ahead.
- Start following a healthy diet. You can’t live on Ramen Noodles, Doritos, and fast food forever. One of the things to know about life is that there are many foods to love that you haven’t tried yet! Aim to have a variety of colors on your plate along with lean poultry or brain-boosting fish. Replace any white breads with whole grains to give you lasting energy. You’ll start to feel better before you know it and enjoy a lifelong love for healthy food.
- Make sleep your friend. Being independent and staying up as late as you want is fun, but if you really want to achieve your life goals, you have to start getting regular sleep. In your early 20’s you need 7-8 hours of sleep to stay focused at work and school. Enough sleep will also help you make decisions about what you want to do with your life. If you want to stay healthy, get the job of your dreams, and be able to make a difference in this world, you have to sleep!
Can’t Sleep Well in Your Bed?
If you’re not comfortable enough to sleep in your bed, you may need a new mattress. Herobed is a true hybrid mattress built to provide amazing rest for stressed minds and weary bodies. Herobed works whether you are a busy student or stressed employee. You can try it risk-free for 100 days to see how it helps you sleep, and download your free copy of “Sleep Like an Everyday Hero” for quick sleep tips: